Wednesday, September 14, 2016

First Things First

When you inherit a bike from your kid, I can almost guarantee that it is not going to fit. At all. 

I realized almost immediately that while he and I have nearly the same inseam measurement, we are NOT built the same. At all.

Without some major changes, there was no way that I was going to be able to ride the bike comfortably. At all.

Thankfully, that wasn't hard to fix. Years of hanging out at bike races and making friends with all sorts of bike people meant that I knew just what I should do... I needed to go see local cyclocross legend and bike fit genius, Jared Nieters. 


Photo credit: CycleBoredom
After several hours at the Haymarket Bicycles Fit Studio in The Plains, VA, Jared had properly positioned the cleats on my hand-me-down shoes, traded my seatpost so that I was positioned properly over the pedals, changed out my stem, put on significantly narrower handlebars, and lowered my seat a solid two inches. 


Before the fit, the bike really felt like I was riding someone else's bike. After, it felt more like MY bike. Thanks Jared!

The bike fit made a world of difference! I was able to ride the bike comfortably. I would like to say that I could get on and off easily too, but that would be a lie. I could get on and off, but not easily. Not like a pro. Certainly not like Sam can. But at least I was closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment